Thursday, October 31, 2019

My Recent Experiences Working with Habitat for Humanity.


I have volunteered with Watauga County Habitat for humanity over the past two weekends. The Watauga County organization does a fabulous job situating many houses on their hillside. These houses give a home to Watauga residents who are in need of housing to break the cycle of poverty. My experience volunteering with the organization has been an experience that I value a lot. I have met many kind and caring members of the community. I have helped build a house from the ground up with college students like me and construction professionals. From my experience I have gained valuable insight into how to build a house and the hard work it takes to help a community in need. 

When I first arrived at Watauga Habitat for Humanity build site there was only a foundation. Throughout that “crazy build” Saturday we built numerous walls, installed dozens of windows, and installed the beams and rafters. A long day of driving nails and hauling lumber took a toll on my back and arms but I was enthusiastic about other volunteer days to come. 

My most recent volunteer opportunity with Watauga Habitat for Humanity was last weekend. Since the structure had been built weeks before it was time to work on the finishing touches. There was a much smaller group of workers this time as opposed to the crazy build weekend. We split into teams and my job was to put the stucco onto the exterior walls. Stucco is a concrete like material that leaves a textured stone finish on the lower exterior of buildings. Throughout the whole day I mixed 5-gallon buckets full of concrete powder and water and mixed it with a large power drill. After mixing the stucco my team members and I would paste the moist mixture onto the walls where we would smooth it out. 

By the end of the day I was covered with red clay and concrete dust. I enjoy working for Watauga County Habitat for Humanity because it gives me gratification to build things with my own two hands.  

No comments:

Post a Comment