Thursday, September 12, 2019

How a bad day turned worse because I didn't look at the Syllabus




I had searched far and wide over the past few weeks trying to find a suitable community partner. In my Google calendar I had written the amount of service hours required in my Rhetorical Analysis class. My notes said I needed to volunteer for eighty hours in the fall semester. This requirement seemed impossible but I was sure I hadn’t made a typo. I trusted my notes and stressed for two weeks over a requirement I thought I would never fulfill. On September 12th I meet with a representative from Watauga County Habitat for Humanity. The representative I met with that day was professional and kind. I asked her what volunteer options are available and she relayed much important information for me but was surprised that I had such a high requirement for volunteer hours. Her conclusion made me reference the class syllabus. When I referenced the syllabus I learned that I had made a terrible mistake. Luckily, the required hours were less than I thought, only thirty! I was relieved when I found out but suddenly I was consumed with embarrassment. I had spent weeks worrying about obtaining eighty volunteer hours. I had made dozens of phone calls to my father where I complained about an imaginary requirement. I had let my own carelessness cause me to go crazy. Hard lessons must be learned to continue personal prosperity. I have learned to be more diligent. I realize the importance of the class syllabus now and i'm going to reference them often. 

I am excited to volunteer with Watauga Habitat for Humanity as a way for me to reach my goal of thirty volunteer hours. The opportunity to volunteer with them is the light at the end of a tunnel. This long day and my own carelessness has disappointed me but the opportunity to work with a nonprofit organization makes me feel more dignified.  Volunteering with Watauga Habitat for Humanity will also bring me satisfaction because I will help those in need. I learned that Watauga Habitat for Humanity has a goal to build an entire house in one weekend. Working with them to achieve this goal will help me build up the thirty volunteer hours required this semester.

I am grateful that my ability to volunteer makes my personal embarrassment a little more bearable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment