Thursday, September 5, 2019

My search for a community partner in Boone.



When I enrolled in RC1000 I wasn't aware of the service based nature of the class. On my first day when I learned how important volunteering was on my success in the class it made me worry. Eighty hours seemed like an impossible goal, especially while keeping up with my homework. Even though I was apprehensive I began looking for a community partner that I would genuinely enjoy working with. I knew if I enjoyed my work that I would in turn enjoy RC1000.

 The Blue Ridge Parkway Conservancy was my original plan. I had spoken to one of the organizations representatives a few days before at the Club Expo. I accessed their website and began reading about their mission, vision, and time schedule. I thought the Blue Ridge Parkway Conservancy would be a great match for me because of my experience in construction and maintenance work. Sadly they informed me that they were unable to give me the eighty hours required to fulfill my needs for class. The hunt went on as I began emailing more nonprofit organizations. I received a nasty email from a local soup kitchen informing me that i would have to join a waiting list to volunteer. The impression given by that email overshadowed the appealing website I had studied the hour before. 

Luckily, after speaking to my professor, I found a worthwhile organization which I would enjoy working at. Habitat for Humanity is an organization focused on building houses and providing shelter for the people who need it most in the local community. I reached out to Habitat for Humanity by email. I received a lovely email assuring me that they could provide eighty hours of work for me over the semester. I was told that Saturday hours were available and that the Habitat for Humanity program was in coordination with Appalachian State University. I quickly set up an appointment to go speak with a representative. 

Since the first day of class i have become excited to volunteer my time with a service based organization. I look forward to the challenge this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment