Friday, September 27, 2019

My IBMA experience on Thursday September 26th.

Bluegrass music is a musical genre that was born in the mountains of North Carolina, Virginia, and Kentucky. Bluegrass has grown from one band, Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys, to a worldwide phenomenon. Millions of people all over the world enjoy and play Bluegrass music. Every year at the end of September, bluegrass is honored by a wondrous week long celebration in downtown Raleigh. The International Bluegrass Music Association award show is one of the most important days of the year for everyone in bluegrass. The award show honors the best bluegrass creations of the year and remembers those that the community has lost. Bluegrass music really is “One big family” as Del McCoury stated at the 2019 award ceremony. 

Bluegrass music is considered by many to be the musicians music. Bluegrass musicians cover a wide range of people. The sheer talent of bluegrassers is passed down through generations. At IBMA children jam with professionals and grey haired masters throughout hallways and corridors. Many of the best musicians are not in the IBMA spotlight but nestled in corners and hallways throughout the conference. The beautiful thing about IBMA is that jammining is allowed anywhere and everywhere. 

This has been my first experience at the International Bluegrass Music Association bluegrass week. As soon as I arrived I felt at home and comfortable. It means so much to me that I am accepted and befriended by such high caliber musicians. Bluegrass music is such an important part of who I am and I'm honored to be a part of this awe inspiring conference that showcases the best Bluegrass music has to offer. IBMA has been on my bucket list since I was a young boy learning how to play the banjo. Now that I am finally here, at the greatest bluegrass week of the year, I want to make every moment count.     

No comments:

Post a Comment